Show for the Cure 2013

If you've been following my progress on Facebook, you'll have seen the completed pictures of my Show for the Cure donation. You've seen some of the frustrations on this blog; it was the donation saddle that had an unfortunate incident with nail polish remover. I had intended to start the donation over winter break, but like so many of my good intentions, it never quite made it to the action phase.

As far as I can tell (records keeping was spotty in the early days), this is the 5th straight year that I have donated.  Here's a brief pictorial history...

2009

2010

2011

2012
This year's donation is a bit of a throw back, since it's another western show set.






The most  notable feature is that this is the first completed saddle to be built on a new, sculpted tree. It's also my first saddle with aluminum duct-work tape. That stuff is awesome. The silver has tiny cancer awareness ribbons etched into the design, and the saddle is hand carved. There's a properly tied latigo (and latigo keeper!) on the left and a quick-tack-up tongue buckle on the right. The bridle is a rolled single ear with plain split reins and a photo etched curb from TWMHC.

I've spoken to Jenna Nejman, the hostess for Show for the Cure, and she's told me that the saddle will be a silent auction item. Bidding will end at the show, but if you can't make the show and are still interested it sounds like you'll have a chance to place a bid. She'll post more information later, and I'll relay that here when I have it.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, all five. This year's saddle is just stunning. It both inspires me to try a western saddle... and makes me think it's hopeless, lol. Jenna is lucky to have you as a donator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and it's never hopeless! One of my major projects over the summer will be to cast some western trees with the purpose of selling them. An artist resin sculptor has kindly offered to help with the mold making in exchange for tack. Once I have some trees together, I'm going to work up basic patterns and directions to go with them - like a Rio Rondo kit, minus the leather.

    I can say with out a single doubt that sculpted trees are far and away superior to my old method, and once the apoxy master is cleaned up will actually fit a variety of backs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! The tooling is insane! O_O

    ReplyDelete