I know I promised a post last...Thursday? You'll just have to forgive me, life got busy again!
I used to think that I was a patient person. I really did. Then I made
a five point breastplate last month and wrapped up five pairs of boots,
one of which ended up being a double and has to be redone. Strap goods
and odd bits of miscellany tax my patience. There comes a point when I
just want the endless parade of buckles and keepers to be over.
And now I'm getting ready to start a figure eight bridle, a full set of
leg protection, and another five point breastplate (and a saddle, of course). It's all for
WeeJay, though, and you'd be surprised by how much easier his slightly larger size makes things.
I'm sure part of it stems from the laborious preparation process. Unfortunately, lace does not come in "miniscule"; most of the straps on my bridles are less than a millimeter wide and thinner than two sheets of copy paper. If I did by lace by the yard or spool, I'd still have to dye it, skive it, and split it by hand. Might as well cut out the middle man. I have also learned that I don't like waiting for dye to dry. It's like watching a pot boil.
Then there's the actual construction. I spent most of a morning and an entire afternoon finishing a bridle and four pairs of boots. After the last boot, even my eyes were starting to cross. I had to look it up - the last pair of boots I made was probably in June. June! I'd forgotten how long they take.
The good news, though, is that the last donation is almost done and Sugar High Live's box went out March 2. I took some photos of the Show for the Cure donation, which is when I discovered the messed up boot. I also ended up reworking the five point breastplate (which didn't fit quite right) and the bridle (the crown piece was a little short). What you don't see in the photo below are two pairs of galloping boots and a fitted "fleece" pad.